Check out Andrew Peterson's brand new album, out now!

Border leftarrow upMore Newsarrow downBorder right
Space
Space

Space
Space Space
Space

Space
Jesusfreakhideout.com Forum Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative for... /Comparison thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
JfH Rocker View Drop Down
Headliner
Headliner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JfH Rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative for... /Comparison thread
    Posted: Oct-08-2005 at 12:04pm

If you want a Christian alternative to a secular band, this is the thread for you.  

I love Nickelback's sound... but I want God inspired lyrics... are there any Christian bands out there that can be comparable to Nickelback?

(Great idea!! Just a note to everyone who posts, keep this to suggestions of Christian artists, not the discussion of secular artists. You can mention the name of a mainstream artists and ask for Christian alternatives. Offering people alternatives is a great and awesome thing, but if you don't know what the artists in question sounds like or can't think of a comparison, then please don't comment.

Also please read the entire thread. The group you are looking to compare may have already been listed. Thanks! - Final_Night)

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."
- C.S. Lewis

[I have written cd reviews for JfH]
xRiseInsidex View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRiseInsidex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-08-2005 at 1:26pm
Kutless
Sam Winchester: "And I needed to think that there was something else watching too, you know? Some higher power. Some greater good. And that maybe...Maybe I could be saved."

tfk_fan20 View Drop Down
Jesus Freak
Jesus Freak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfk_fan20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-08-2005 at 4:03pm

Day of Fire or Seventh Day Slumber, but none of those bands have that voice

I myself am lookiong for an alternitave to Billy Talent

Boardie family:the_obvious and KingofDiverseCtand biblequizzer14
Boardie bud with christ_rocker90

New England Patriots rule! (more than any other team)
Final_Night View Drop Down
Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Final_Night Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-08-2005 at 7:42pm
Yeah, for Nickelback I think the best comparisons are Kutless and Day of Fire. Unfortunately, that gruff singing voice is something that seems to be a little bit lost in the Christian music industry though.

Not sure about Billy Talent...
Matt
"With His breath in my lungs, I am coming undone." - You Are My Joy by David Crowder
starflyer59 View Drop Down
Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starflyer59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-08-2005 at 8:25pm
Kutless and Day of fire are awesome. I have never heard of nickleback though.
Guests View Drop Down

Members w/ this handle have been deleted
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-09-2005 at 5:37pm
maybe 12 stones
NOTE: A member whose handle is "Guests" has been deleted from the database if they have not logged in for two years, OR for another reason.

Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-10-2005 at 12:39pm
I think that it is important to remember that you will not find exact replica
of your favorite mainstream band. There will always be similarities in
style within the genre that you dig, but you shouldn't expect to find a
carbon copy.
Most christian artist these days seek to have their own sound. With that
said I think your best bets are Day of Fire or 12 Stones.

Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-10-2005 at 12:39pm
What about that Scott Stapp guy from Creed? His voice is a weird Celtic\rock type voice.
NOTE: A member whose handle is "Guests" has been deleted from the database if they have not logged in for two years, OR for another reason.

ILove2Worship View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILove2Worship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-10-2005 at 7:47pm
Here's a toughie, Evanescence
A hero is made when you make a choice!
           -Superchick
I hope God is making a difference in your life because He's making one in mine!
tfk_fan20 View Drop Down
Jesus Freak
Jesus Freak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfk_fan20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-10-2005 at 8:11pm

^ for evenasence try gretchen

as for billy talent, dead poetic sounds enough like then for me

Boardie family:the_obvious and KingofDiverseCtand biblequizzer14
Boardie bud with christ_rocker90

New England Patriots rule! (more than any other team)
Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-10-2005 at 9:32pm

Anyone know a good alternative to Greenday? I love their sound, the lyrics not so much:(  any ideas?

crossfire View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-11-2005 at 4:10am

What about Slipknot?

Final_Night View Drop Down
Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Final_Night Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-11-2005 at 9:42am
Yeah. For Evanescence try Gretchen.

For Slipknot.. Hmm... you might want to try Becoming the Archetype. You just might come away liking them better.
Matt
"With His breath in my lungs, I am coming undone." - You Are My Joy by David Crowder
Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-11-2005 at 2:02pm
For more of a Slipknot copy, go for Demon Hunter, but I agree with Matt: BTA is better.

Green Day, try MxPx.

JfH Rocker View Drop Down
Headliner
Headliner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JfH Rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-12-2005 at 6:59pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions... I've found that Jeremy Camp comes pretty close to Nickelback at times...

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."
- C.S. Lewis

[I have written cd reviews for JfH]
anman View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-12-2005 at 9:00pm

My friend likes Story of the Year.I would like something christian to throw at him. Although i read that the vocalist is a christian.I probably would be able to give him one, but i personally have never heard SOTY

Oh,but Jesus. I've got vices like any other man.Vices that you're so used to.Vices that wont make you think less of me.
WorldWithoutEnd View Drop Down
Jesus Freak
Jesus Freak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorldWithoutEnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-13-2005 at 12:11am

What is a good alternative for Hawthorne Heights?

Emery maybe, who else?

"Put your heart where your mouth is"
-- August Burns Red
Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-13-2005 at 12:15am
Alternative to Avril Lavigne -- Krystal Meyers....haha. ;)
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRiseInsidex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-13-2005 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by WorldWithoutEnd WorldWithoutEnd wrote:

What is a good alternative for Hawthorne Heights?

Emery maybe, who else?

Dead Poetic

Sam Winchester: "And I needed to think that there was something else watching too, you know? Some higher power. Some greater good. And that maybe...Maybe I could be saved."

RadNac622 View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RadNac622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-13-2005 at 12:49pm

Originally posted by DrummerGirL DrummerGirL wrote:

Yeah, seriously. And Skillet to Papa Roach.

Like my Avatar? I drew it myself with my Nintendo DS and a stylus.
crossfire View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-13-2005 at 1:02pm

Thanks guys.

Another one. What are the alternatives to these metal bands:

Gorgoroth
Satyricon
Dark Funeral
Cradle of Filth
Emperor
Bathory

Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-13-2005 at 6:44pm

Alternative to Avril Lavigne -- Krystal Meyers....haha. ;).DrummerGirl

I was thinking Zoeygirl..wait hmmm Stacy orrico.......

Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-14-2005 at 1:14am
Well, maybe ZoeGirl for Hilary Duff...
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRiseInsidex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-14-2005 at 8:52am
Originally posted by RadNac622 RadNac622 wrote:

Originally posted by DrummerGirL DrummerGirL wrote:

Yeah, seriously. And Skillet to Papa Roach.

No.

Skillet = industrial

Papa Roach = nu metal.

for papa roach, i'd say stuff like, thousand foot krutch, pillar.

Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-15-2005 at 2:14pm

Taylor Sorensen and the Trigger Code is a good alternative to U2...

anman View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-15-2005 at 2:38pm
I still need one for story of the year
Oh,but Jesus. I've got vices like any other man.Vices that you're so used to.Vices that wont make you think less of me.
Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-17-2005 at 1:55am
Originally posted by anman anman wrote:

Dead poetic - New medicines
Emery - The question

The_Messenjah View Drop Down
Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Messenjah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-17-2005 at 4:59pm

Originally posted by happyegg!!! happyegg!!! wrote:

Originally posted by anman anman wrote:

Dead poetic - New medicines
Emery - The question

...The Beautiful Mistake?...

Nah, maybe...

...And each seperate dying ember wrought it's ghost
upon the floor...

- Edgar Allan Poe
anman View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-17-2005 at 6:15pm
ok, thanks guys
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRiseInsidex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-18-2005 at 10:22am
Originally posted by crossfire crossfire wrote:

Thanks guys.

Another one. What are the alternatives to these metal bands:

Gorgoroth
Satyricon
Dark Funeral
Cradle of Filth
Emperor
Bathory

Kekal they were on a tribute album to CoF once.

Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-18-2005 at 4:26pm
Which story of the year? They sound a lot different between cds.

Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Messenjah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-18-2005 at 5:40pm

The good Story Of The Year...

...A.K.A Page avenue, SOTY...

upon the floor...

- Edgar Allan Poe
anman View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-18-2005 at 7:33pm

Originally posted by audioquiz46 audioquiz46 wrote:

Which story of the year? They sound a lot different between cds.

whatever cd "a hero will drown" is on

Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Messenjah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-18-2005 at 9:05pm
Page avenue.
upon the floor...

- Edgar Allan Poe
WorldWithoutEnd View Drop Down
Jesus Freak
Jesus Freak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorldWithoutEnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-19-2005 at 3:06am

Anyone know of any good alternatives to Saves The Day? Listening to them for the first time ever now and I like the style.

Sufjan Stevens is a Christian.

An alternative to Jeff Buckley? Hah. Yeah. Right. Good luck with that. Please do let me know if you find anything that comes even close!

"Put your heart where your mouth is"
-- August Burns Red
Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-20-2005 at 1:52am
Originally posted by WorldWithoutEnd WorldWithoutEnd wrote:

Anyone know of any good alternatives to Saves The Day? Listening to them for the first time ever now and I like the style.

Sufjan Stevens is a Christian.

An alternative to Jeff Buckley? Hah. Yeah. Right. Good luck with that. Please do let me know if you find anything that comes even close!

I can't think of any alternative to Saves the Day. They're so good and so different from most punk/emo bands...sorry.

Sufjan is cool.

riverman920 View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverman920 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-31-2005 at 4:01pm
what about keane.  i normally like hard rock/metal, but my girlfriend loves keane.  does anybody know of any good alternatives.
zap23 View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zap23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-31-2005 at 5:24pm
Krystal Meyers for Avril Lavigne if that isn't already obvious. KJ-52 is a great alternative for Eminem.
Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-01-2005 at 2:48pm
The only thing that strikes me for Keane right now is Waking Ashland, and that's not even that close.

DRMS_7888 View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRMS_7888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-11-2005 at 1:01am

Originally posted by riverman920 riverman920 wrote:

what about keane.  i normally like hard rock/metal, but my girlfriend loves keane.  does anybody know of any good alternatives.

Luna Halo really fits in that Brit-rock/pop catigory well, even though they aren't from the UK, =D

Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-12-2005 at 3:57pm
I too am looking for some good Nickelback and Green Day like Christian bands. The funny thing is, is I really started listening to all Christian music.. and moved to secular (no, don't get me wrong.. I love Christian stuff, and would listen to it exclusively if I could, but I needed some more variety.) because I listened to most of what was out there, and liked a lot of it, but just got tired of it. There aren't enough good Christian bands putting out stuff as of late ;)

For Green Day, MXPX isn't cutting it. I like them, but I like Green Day's newer sound..

A couple more bands I'd be interested in some similar Christian bands are: (most of them are pretty clean, but still, I'd prefer to support Christian artists.)

Aqualung
Coldplay
Rob Thomas
Foo Fighters
Howie Day

Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-15-2005 at 7:54pm
For Coldplay, try Copeland.

Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-15-2005 at 8:44pm
I have them.. they're ok.

PunkRockRox View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PunkRockRox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-15-2005 at 9:10pm

Originally posted by ILove2Worship ILove2Worship wrote:

Here's a toughie, Evanescence

Plum sounds like Evanescence......Their voices are alot alike

Guests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-15-2005 at 9:18pm

A good alternative for Hawthorn Heights would be As Cities Burn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic