Support Jesusfreakhideout.com and order some art prints online!

Border leftarrow upMore Newsarrow downBorder right
Space
Space

Space
Space Space
Space

Space
Jesusfreakhideout.com Forum Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are these artists Christians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252627
Author
johntheumfreak View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johntheumfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr-04-2012 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Red Five Red Five wrote:

The interview was a bit vague and not all that well-worded, but it didn't sound so much like, "We're not Christians anymore," as it did, "We've come to a place where we're experiencing some doubt." I think there's an important difference between those two things.

That's true. Either way though I don't think I'd consider them a Christian band anymore. But every one else seems to, so that's got me confused. It is very vague. Hopefully there will be another interview someday that states things clearer.
cubs223425 View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubs223425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr-10-2012 at 2:44pm

Originally posted by ColonelMustang. ColonelMustang. wrote:

Originally posted by Zakuvawltraydz Zakuvawltraydz wrote:

Last I heard about Bless The Fall was when a friend of mine told me that the lead singer & another member left & the new lead singer was a muslim & they weren't a christian band anymore. Was that true?? I'm pretty confused about who's who.

Not true whatsoever. Craig Mabbit, their old singer, is a Christian, and Beau (their current singer) is a Christian as well. To my knowledge, all of the members are Christians. They don't curse at their live shows (to my knowledge), and back in the myspace days, Beau talked about God on his myspace page.

And yes, Beau is engaged to Lights...I sure do wish I was engaged to Lights. :/
See, that's kind of a confusing issue. They have a video from their album Witness, I can't remember which song, but it pretty much plays out like a version of the movie The Hangover. When I saw that, I was turned off.

(NOTE: Some content here was removed by moderator. We are NOT permitted to discuss foul language on these boards - please respect this or do not post. Thank you.)

Between the video and that occurrence, I thought they has gone away from Christian music, but after their new album's songs "Meet Me at the Gates," and "'till the Death of Me," are pretty openly Christian.

Oh, and for the record, the band we are discussing is named blessthefall.
gingeronmars View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingeronmars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr-11-2012 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by glahoiten glahoiten wrote:

Well, it's not unique to her. Anberlin, Switchfoot, Relient K, etc, all have similar responses. I think when they say they don't want to be a "Christian" band, they mean they don't want to be an exclusively "Christian" band, or a band that specifically tries to cater to a Christian audience, which is what it means to some people. It's kinda confusing though. The meaning probably varies by the context of the comment, and oftentimes interviewers don't probe too deeply into what the artist means.

Totally get that, but here's what confuses me: Anberlin, Switchfoot, and Relient K don't just say they want to be in both markets, they actually do it. They tour with mainstream bands, play secular festivals like the Warped Tour, give interviews to mainstream publications, sign to mainstream labels that will get their album mainstream audiences (even Relient K at least got a distribution deal with labels like Capitol and Columbia). They make the effort to ensure that they're present in both markets.
Icon For Hire, on the other, has toured with maybe one secular band, Jamie's Elsewhere (and even them I'm not sure about), is signed to the guaranteed-to-get-you-noticed-in-the-Christian-market Tooth & Nail when they could have easily signed or co-signed to a secular label (or even Fugitive Recordings, T&N's secular sublabel), and have gotten 95 percent of their coverage and publicity (that I've seen) from Christian sites. Granted, they're a new band and probably don't have much clout yet, but I'm sure if they wanted to, they could have easily established a connection with the secular market.
All I'm saying is, it seems a little hypocritical to give the whole "we're not a Christian band, just Christians in a band" spiel when you're not even trying to reach out to the secular market. Just sayin'.
"Sing unto Him a song that is new, played well, with sounds of deep emotion." - Psalms 33:3
Zakuvawltraydz View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zakuvawltraydz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr-11-2012 at 6:26pm
I personally can see why bands would do the "not necessarily a christian band" thing, but glahoiten has a pretty good point. It's definitely odd for IFH to do that. I don't mind if a band says they're not a 'christian band' as long as they're not ashamed of Christ. But it is also nice to see a band that wants to be identified with the christian market. It helps christian music to have good bands willing to call themselves 'christian bands'.
"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell." -As I Lay Dying
BunnySlippersMN View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnySlippersMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2012 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by dandaman25 dandaman25 wrote:

I've got some i'm confused about:
We Came As Romans
Attack Attack!
A Day To Remember
To Speak of Wolves

We Came As Romans is considered a Christian band by many, and I believe all members are Christian.
Attack Attack! used to be comprised of some Christian members and some non-Christian members when they first started out, at that time their lyricist was a Christian, however since then all Christian member have left the band and their lyrics now contain profanity, they used to be a Christian band (for their first album, "Someday Came Suddenly") however they are no longer.
A Day To Remember is not a Christian band.
To Speak of Wolves is a Christian band.
Originally posted by Naitomea4664 Naitomea4664 wrote:

is the band hundredth a christian band?

Yes
Originally posted by blahh blahh wrote:

La Dispute?

Ok, so I did use the search feature and I didn't really find anything on this band. I am wondering if the members of La Dispute are Christian? Some songs reference God so I am wondering. They are great, and positive at least.... But idk if the members are Christian.......

My best guess is that they are Christian, check out the lyrics to the song "I See Everything" here: http://www.lyricsmania.com/i_see_everything_lyrics_la_dispute.html
The end of it seems like a faith struggle, but most of it points pretty obviously to God.

Also, I would like to know if these bands are Christian:
Touche Amore
Defeater
Manners
Hostage Calm
I See Stars
-Isaac

Psalm 37
starflyer59 View Drop Down
Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starflyer59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 9:26am
I don't see that we can really rely on lyrics to determine if a band is Christian or not? If someone is a Christian and they are doing what Gods word told us to do then their faith should be evident in what they say and do.

I know, we have beat this horse to death for years now. It's sad that we have to search and search and search and hope that we can find a tiny bit of Jesus in a song to hope they are a Christian band.

Hostage Calm -

I read about a dozen different interviews with them and cannot find anything that mentions being a Christian or mentions Jesus. They are vegans(don't eat meat). I don't see any profanity in their interviews. I found this one question where they explain what they are about.

The band has gained a reputation for being a very switched on band in terms of lyrics, is this something the band deliberately tries to achieve?

Thank you, and we definitely devote a lot of time and effort to the lyric-writing process. Addressing social and political issues is something that is important to us as people and by extension is a key part of our identity as a band. As the singer, Chris writes a vast majority of the lyrics. During writing for the S/T LP, after we had some skeletons of songs, we really opened up the editing process. On one tour, we all had printed out lyrics sheets and clipboards and we sat in the van poring over words and phrases until ultimately we ended up with something we were all happy with.

If they were Christians it seems they would mention it somewhere?

Defeater -

No...I could not even make it through the reading of two interviews without reading all the profanity.

Does your music glorify God? Is Art first in your life or is God? John 3:30
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johntheumfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug-03-2012 at 1:26pm
Interviews should be a good sign. Lyrics should be a good sign too but not always because some secular bands use religious imagery for the imagery, and some Christian bands stray away from using "Christianese" to be more relatable (or cause that's how they talk, like me lol). So someone may pick up on something that isn't there or miss something that is (I've done both). Interviews, especially ones where the question itself is asked, I think would be the best thing to go on if you can't tell just from the lyrics.

Quote All I'm saying is, it seems a little hypocritical to give the whole "we're not a Christian band, just Christians in a band" spiel when you're not even trying to reach out to the secular market. Just sayin'.

I agree. I'm not faulting the bands for it or anything, it's just something that confuses me.
SpiritLove View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpiritLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb-16-2013 at 5:06am
Sorry for the bump, but I'm curious about The Smoking Popes.

I know Josh Caterer converted back in 1997/98 (and Destination Failure has 'I Know You Love Me' about Jesus) but I don't know anything about the other members so I'm not sure if they're considered a Christian band or not. As far as I know Josh writes all the songs, but there's little information about them out there.

I know their side-band Duvall has more overt Christian messages, however.
Glen Hawk View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glen Hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar-04-2013 at 7:12pm
How about Emerosa? I'm liking their sound, but can't tell if they're a "Christian Band" or "Christians in a band."
starflyer59 View Drop Down
Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starflyer59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar-08-2013 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Glen Hawk Glen Hawk wrote:

How about Emerosa? I'm liking their sound, but can't tell if they're a "Christian Band" or "Christians in a band."

I just read about a half dozen interviews and cannot find anything mentioning being a Christian, Jesus or anything related to Christianity.
Does your music glorify God? Is Art first in your life or is God? John 3:30
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johntheumfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr-11-2013 at 8:39pm
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus? I know they've been asked before and the answer was no, IIRC, but I noticed their new single being played on a Christian station so I was wondering if anything changed. Not a fan or anything, just confused.
newsboys10 View Drop Down
Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newsboys10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr-16-2013 at 7:35pm
I think they might be, but I'm not sure. I think I heard they are, but I can be wrong.
~Kingdom Bound Festival 2014~

ColonelMustang. View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColonelMustang. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 1:03am
Originally posted by johntheumfreak johntheumfreak wrote:

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus? I know they've been asked before and the answer was no, IIRC, but I noticed their new single being played on a Christian station so I was wondering if anything changed. Not a fan or anything, just confused.
I'm thinking they are now. Very confusing though. They're playing at a Christian venue in my city this August, and they're on Radio U now, so I'm guessing so. "Don't You Fake It" has a pretty good worship song on it (Misery Loves Its Company).
There is power in the name of Jesus to break every chain.
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johntheumfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 7:58am
Okay, thanks. Well if I had to guess, I'd say it might be related to changes in label/distro/management, but I don't know enough to know if that's actually the case. Or maybe the band just decided they wanted to start releasing to those formats themselves.
METALMAN View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote METALMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 10:46pm
Is to speak of wolves a christian band I heard that theye are not christian but just sing about positive things but I have also heard that theye are christian and I have seen there album at mardels?
Bands I like:Wolves At The Gate,My Heart To Fear,Phinehas,Fit For A King,War Of Ages,RED
,For Today,Disciple
John 3:16
GlorytoGod View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlorytoGod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 12:23am
^ Above post merged with this existing thread. Thanks for understanding.

Yes they are considered Christian artists and we have a profile for them here on this site. Here is the link:

http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/artists/ToSpeakOfWolves.asp

Note: To e-mail me please use the Contact Form on my "Staff" page (Karen M.) at the bottom of this page (scroll down).
NewsboysRock_29 View Drop Down
Headliner
Headliner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewsboysRock_29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 12:47am
Originally posted by METALMAN METALMAN wrote:

Is to speak of wolves a christian band I heard that theye are not christian but just sing about positive things but I have also heard that theye are christian and I have seen there album at mardels?

I would guess they are. Their last album was put out by Solid State records which has a history of putting out Christian hardcore/metal/metalcore albums. Their current lead singer is the former merch guy for Oh, Sleeper which is a Christian band. If I had to make an educated guess I would consider them a Christian band.

They also appear on the JFH artist list page which is another indicator.
Winner of JFH Survivor Season #1.
"Though we ache,
though we cry,
never break,
never die"-Showbread
newsboys10 View Drop Down
Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newsboys10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug-01-2013 at 10:32am
We Came As Romans isn't a Christian band. I hear To Speak of Wolves is(was supposed to play at Kingdom Bound festival 2012, but was replaced by Hello Kelly at the last minute). I always have a funny feeling about Anberlin.
~Kingdom Bound Festival 2014~

ColonelMustang. View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColonelMustang. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug-11-2013 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by newsboys10 newsboys10 wrote:

We Came As Romans isn't a Christian band. I hear To Speak of Wolves is(was supposed to play at Kingdom Bound festival 2012, but was replaced by Hello Kelly at the last minute). I always have a funny feeling about Anberlin.
WCAR used to be a Christian band. At least when I knew of their music early in my high school days, they were. That was a little under four years ago, and a lot can happen. Best thing to do is to pray for them. It's hard to see a breakthrough, but if you look at people like Caleb Shomo and Jonny Franck from Attack Attack, it's evident that some artists can still get on the narrow path and serve the Lord! Anyway... I'd say no as for now.

To Speak Of Wolves is definitely a Christian band. They have an interview with XXX church on the organization's page. As for Anberlin, I think they still show fruit. They did an interview here with JFH a few months ago if I recall, and Stephen always has advocated "know who you are before you tour", so I'd assume, but I'm not sure.
There is power in the name of Jesus to break every chain.
9ersfan33 View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9ersfan33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2014 at 1:31am
I was wondering about the bands Of Mice and Men and also Issues tried looking them up on google and couldn't really get a definitive answer either way.
GlorytoGod View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlorytoGod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2014 at 11:40am
Originally posted by 9ersfan33 9ersfan33 wrote:

I was wondering about the bands Of Mice and Men and also Issues..

Hi there and welcome. "Of Mice and Men" is not a Christian band, but their lead singer Austin Carlile is outspoken about his Christian beliefs. You can use a web-based search engine to get more information; it is definitely available.

Sorry, could not find anything definitive about The Issues.
Note: To e-mail me please use the Contact Form on my "Staff" page (Karen M.) at the bottom of this page (scroll down).
9ersfan33 View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9ersfan33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2014 at 2:23am
Thank you for the quick reply i appreciate it

VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johntheumfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:46am
Just out of curiosity, what about Tonight Alive? They're still around apparently but haven't been covered on Christian music sites for a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252627
  Share Topic