Jesusfreakhideout.com Forum Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Icon for Hire (surprisingly good)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gingeronmars View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingeronmars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Icon for Hire (surprisingly good)
    Posted: June-22-2011 at 7:46pm
I originally brushed them off as among the new yet musically generic crop of recent Tooth and Nail signees....until I saw the promo pic and realized that the lead singer was a girl with bright pink hair. (I'm easily lured.) I took a shot and was pleasantly surprised (to the point that I took the time to submit a review of their first EP to JfH - hope that gets published). Kind of like old Fireflight and Paramore, except heavier. Truth be told, they're a bit more interesting than most of what T&N has been turning out lately, and I hope the new album delivers on it. Goodness knows T&N needs something fresh.

For those interested, they have two EPs (songs are available on YouTube), and a single from the upcoming album called "Make A Move". Any other fans out there?

Zakuvawltraydz View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zakuvawltraydz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 11:23pm
   I read what you said and listened to some of their stuff on youtube. They definitely remind me of Paramore. A lot of potential. I really like "Make A Move", very catchy and radio-friendly; Falls Apart wasn't as interesting but still decent; another song which I can't remember the name was interesting but not as easy to listen to with nothing memorable. I think that they have the potential to be big if they find their own voice.
"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell." -As I Lay Dying
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingeronmars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 11:31pm
Eh, I can see the similarities to Paramore, and they make a good reference point for this band (which is why I mentioned them in my OP), but there's just something about the overall delivery that doesn't quite match up. I think it's that these guys are a little heavier and more agressive than Paramore, especially on the first two EPs. I wonder what the last song you heard was, as the songs I heard from them had some pretty catchy choruses. I don't think they're that cookie-cutter, but I agree they could use a bit more distinctiveness.
crosstheway View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crosstheway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 7:24am
I agree that they show potential. Personally, thye remind me more of The Letter Black or Thousand foot Krutch. Call me alive has a great intro, but sort of falls apart halfway through, imo.

Fight on your knees and your giants will fall ~ Oh Sleeper
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zakuvawltraydz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 7:51pm
    I listened again to the three tracks I listened to the last time I posted and Call Me Alive is better than I at first thought, while I still don't love Fall Apart. Make A Move is phenomenal. So, I apologize for being a tad critical before I gave the tracks time to sink in.   They do have a good sound going for them. Definitely harder than Paramore and Fireflight. I don't think they sound very much like TFK, but they do sound a tiny bit like The Letter Black.
"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell." -As I Lay Dying
newsboys10 View Drop Down
Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newsboys10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 10:40pm
They are alright. Not better than Fireflight. Just about the same as The Letter Black.
~Kingdom Bound Festival 2014~

VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingeronmars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 2:45am
TLB is a bit of a closer match, but still not quite there. They seem a little "chunky" instrumentally (if that's the right word) while these guys, heavy as they are, seem a bit more smoother and brighter in their melodies. To put it another way, TLB seems to have more of a metal vibe, while IFH is more melodic and fast-paced, almost a pop-punk sound with bass chugs. That's one of the things I like about them (IFH), that they're one of those bands that can have beautiful melodies and still put some aggression behind it.

Whatever, I'm glad their music has grown on you.
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zakuvawltraydz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 6:55pm
I've been listening to the tracks on their myspace and I really like "Off With Her Head", which I had not heard before. I agree totally with gingeronmars, they are pulling off some great melodies with a heavy backdrop, which is something that's missing from alot of bands in the harder genres.

Can't wait for the new album. Produced by Aaron Sprinkle...yes!
BunnySlippersMN View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnySlippersMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2011 at 6:42pm
AARON SPRINKLE!!!!We're pretty much guaranteed an awesome record here.
I found an interview with Ariel Bloomer on iTunes, I don't know how to link from iTunes but if you find the "Anvil and the Hammer" podcast IFH is on there.
-Isaac

Psalm 37
PyreBall View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PyreBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 6:28pm
    I forget how I heard about them but they are indeed good. They look like they'll be a replacement of sorts for Paramore since Christian music seems to have split ways with the band.
The flame in all of us the same.
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingeronmars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug-21-2011 at 11:34pm
They released a video for "Make A Move" and the album is also on their Myspace and on YouTube. I have my own opinions of both, but what does everyone else think?
cubs223425 View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubs223425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug-23-2011 at 2:23am
I'm not sure with them yet. I've never really liked a female-fronted band before. I've just never found such a band in Christian music that I really cared for. I've tried Flyleaf a few times, and might check them out again.

Watching the, "Make a Move," video, I have mixed feelings. The music's OK, and the singing's solid, but the video was odd. It seemed like they were trying to be a hardcore band when they're not even close, and it makes me wonder how they will progress if they're playing rock music while trying to fit into a hardcore niche--will they get better or try to create something not meant for them? Maybe they just want to play rock and act hardcore in their videos.

The ban'd OK, I'll probably listen to the whole album at some point, but I am still unable to find a female-fronted band that blows me away.
Chariot of Fire View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chariot of Fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug-24-2011 at 5:09pm
Great band, one of the few new artists this year that I really like.
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnySlippersMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug-27-2011 at 11:01pm
My dislike how JFH compares them to only female-fronted bands, if the lead singer was male they wouldn't do that. Also, I don't really think they're rock music, I would classify them as more post-hardcore.
-Isaac

Psalm 37
Wildcat View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug-28-2011 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by BunnySlippersMN BunnySlippersMN wrote:

My dislike how JFH compares them to only female-fronted bands, if the lead singer was male they wouldn't do that. Also, I don't really think they're rock music, I would classify them as more post-hardcore.

It is what it is. This band isn't terrible from the songs I've heard, but the comparisons are inevitable when the lead singer sounds almost exactly like either Hayley Williams or Dawn Michele depending on which song. For what it's worth the reviewers do compare male fronted bands with similar sounding vocalists too (see Ashes Remain and Kutless)
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zakuvawltraydz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-01-2011 at 2:14am
I disagree a little with cubs223425's analysis... I don't think they came across hardcore in the vid, more punk in my opinion. But, either way, I love a wide range of genres & don't think it would ruin anything if they did come across more hardcore or whatever. They do have a heavier side, but I think (from the songs I've heard) that they are going for a more produced pop edge on the otherwise pure rock music.
alldatndensum View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alldatndensum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-16-2011 at 11:13pm
I like the album, but I think it shows that the record companies are putting out too much "copy & paste" music.  Each artist in the genre eventually sounds like all the others.  
Heathjack View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-18-2011 at 12:46am
i listsne to song they kind of rmeiend me of fire flight or fly leaf..
Heathjack
PyreBall View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PyreBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-27-2011 at 5:40am
I gotta say, she's really cute. The dude with the mohawk is crazy, although really every good rock band needs at least one crazy guy or girl. I hope Icon keeps making music and makes their own definitive sound.
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnySlippersMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-02-2011 at 5:24pm
After quite a bit of thought, I'm no longer a fan. After all their talk about how "our music means nothing if it's not backed up by our lifestyles" Ariel's clothing is much too tight and revealing in the Make A Move video. I really think they're hypocrites.
-Isaac

Psalm 37
Red Five View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Five Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-03-2011 at 4:09pm
Which would qualify as judgment.     
"It's not that we don't talk, it's just no one really listens, and honesty fades."
"We're not questioning God, just those He chose to carry on his cross."
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zakuvawltraydz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-04-2011 at 4:11pm
I'd be careful to judge somebody's faith just based on somewhat unmodest attire. While I do see this as a problem with some christian artists, that could very well just mean that that person is struggling in that area, like we all do in different areas of our life. I mean you could look at anybody & find fault in their lives because we are human.

Red Five View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Five Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-05-2011 at 9:36pm
Unless it suddenly became wrong to show your arms, I seriously have no idea where either of you two are getting this stuff.
"It's not that we don't talk, it's just no one really listens, and honesty fades."
"We're not questioning God, just those He chose to carry on his cross."
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zakuvawltraydz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-06-2011 at 12:48am
I didn't notice anything the first time I watched the video & I haven't watched it since. I was just commenting on his BunnySlippers' comment.
ColonelMustang. View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColonelMustang. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-10-2011 at 3:02pm
I don't see how what she's wearing is revealing.

Also, I'd classify them as "Nailcore". - Tooth & Nail signed Alt Rock/almost Post-Hardcore with traces of Pop Punk. All Tooth & Nail artists sound like this.

...But no, they're a clash of Fireflight meets other Christian bands. (I don't listen to a bunch of Christian music anymore, so forgive me.)

I've only heard their "Make A Move" song, but from what I've heard, I like it.

There is power in the name of Jesus to break every chain.
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnySlippersMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-07-2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Zakuvawltraydz Zakuvawltraydz wrote:

I'd be careful to judge somebody's faith just based on somewhat unmodest attire. While I do see this as a problem with some christian artists (I think the same of Lacey Mosley of Flyleaf), that could very well just mean that that person is struggling in that area, like we all do in different areas of our life. I mean you could look at anybody & find fault in their lives because we are human.

I wouldn't say anything ordinarily, but if you've ever listened to an interview with her (I've heard 2) she talks a lot about how "our lyrics mean nothing if they're not backed up by our lifestyle" if she hadn't talked about this so much, or even made this comment, I wouldn't care, like you said, we ARE all human. But she specifically says that if they're not doing the right thing, their music means nothing. For someone professing godliness like this, it's not right for her to do that. I would leave her alone if she wasn't talking about how important it is to honor God in every area of our lives. It's like me saying how bad lying is and then right after I say that, lie.
-Isaac

Psalm 37
GlorytoGod View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlorytoGod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-08-2012 at 5:27pm
OK, well I just watched the video in question. I speak as a sister, not a moderator, OK? I think she's adorable, the band has a good sound, and FOR ME, her choice of clothing was fine in this video. However, having said that, it may not be and obviously isn't for everyone. The Lord has all of His children in different places, on unique journeys. What is "fine" and not provocative for one person *may* incite lust in someone else, especially if s/he has had problems in the past and is still working through them. Remember that Satan knows our weaknesses and will use any tool he can to make us slip and fall. If it bothers someone and they have expressed that, it may simply be about where God has them at the moment. Right?
Note: To e-mail me please use the Contact Form on my "Staff" page (Karen M.) at the bottom of this page (scroll down).
NewsboysRock_29 View Drop Down
Headliner
Headliner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewsboysRock_29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-09-2012 at 12:53pm
Well said.

I checked them out because of the mention of the video and they actually are pretty decent. Might have to listen to some more of their stuff
Winner of JFH Survivor Season #1.
"Though we ache,
though we cry,
never break,
never die"-Showbread
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zakuvawltraydz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-09-2012 at 2:46pm
I finally watched the video for the second time now & I have to say that I don't see anything wrong about the way she dresses in it & is generally acceptable. GloryToGod put it very well. I also watched the video for "Get Well" & this band has some mojo. Great song & vid.

Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnySlippersMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2012 at 9:23pm
(Comment removed by moderator - unnecessary content. Thank you for understanding.)
-Isaac

Psalm 37
novemberlove98 View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote novemberlove98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-30-2012 at 5:24pm
I absolutely love this band. I'm always glad to find good female-fronted bands. I personally don't find anything wrong with how she dresses, but I could see how some would due to the tightness of her clothing.
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnySlippersMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb-02-2012 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by GlorytoGod GlorytoGod wrote:

What is "fine" and not provocative for one person *may* incite lust in someone else, especially if s/he has had problems in the past and is still working through them. Remember that Satan knows our weaknesses and will use any tool he can to make us slip and fall.

I agree, and he did. And I don't want to have to worry about my "problems in the past" when I watch a Christian video. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
-Isaac

Psalm 37
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingeronmars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr-01-2012 at 9:00pm
I actually found a couple of their older songs (not from the EPs) on YouTube, for anyone interested. The songs are "Sno" (a dark metal song) and "Conversation With A Rockstar" (an acoustic-guitar ballad about a sellout). They're quite different from what can be heard on Scripted, both musically and lyrically.
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnySlippersMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2012 at 10:42pm
I now feel bad about the argument I caused here. Sorry everybody, I got carried away.
-Isaac

Psalm 37
newsboys10 View Drop Down
Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newsboys10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 1:32pm
They have a new album coming out soon. They are going to be touring late summer. Icon For Hire is a talented band. Love their sound.
~Kingdom Bound Festival 2014~

PyreBall View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PyreBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 3:16pm
I was wondering when their next album was coming. I want to see if they stick with the solid rock sound or if they go the pop route like nearly every other band/artist has in the last two or three years.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic