Support Jesusfreakhideout.com and order some art prints online!

Border leftarrow upMore Newsarrow downBorder right
Space
Space

Space
Space Space
Space

Space
Jesusfreakhideout.com Forum Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

good folk bands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
7thDaySlumber15 View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7thDaySlumber15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: good folk bands
    Posted: Oct-08-2012 at 11:02am
i have been listening to punk bands mostly for the last few years and i have kinda gotten tired of it and have switched to folk type stuff and since i am also in a folk band now i am wondering if there is any good folk type bands in christian music oh and dont say The River Empires or The gloomcatcher
"keep the wind at your back, keep your face to the sun"- D.W
PyreBall View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PyreBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-09-2012 at 11:48am
Fiction Family is a great folk project. It consists of Jon Foreman of Switchfoot and a guy who's name I can never remember from a band I can never remember. They only have one album to date but it's excellent. 
The flame in all of us the same.
7thDaySlumber15 View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7thDaySlumber15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-10-2012 at 9:43am
i already know of fiction family and there pretty good know of any others?
"keep the wind at your back, keep your face to the sun"- D.W
ColonelMustang. View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColonelMustang. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-10-2012 at 11:20pm
I'd also like some folk artists to listen to. I love bands/artists like Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver, but I don't know many that talk about the Christian faith.

That being said, I do know of one, Destroy Nate Allen. Honestly, don't know if you can find him out there, but he played in Cincinnati a few weeks back, and he's really good. DIY, although he's a bit...interesting...still excellent nonetheless.
There is power in the name of Jesus to break every chain.
Candykoated Emo View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candykoated Emo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-12-2012 at 4:40pm
Okay, here are some Christian folk bands that I like to listen to, Hopefully you'll like some of them :) I've been getting into this kind of music a lot lately, try: Burlap To Cashmere, Carolina Story, The Vespers, Shel, The Innocence Mission, Wovenhand, and Dustin Kensrue. They're not all straight up folk, but I think they're all pretty good :)
"Quit waiting for the world to change, and start changing the world. We aren't the disease, we're the cure."

-MCMB

PyreBall View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PyreBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-14-2012 at 10:49am
I apologize, but I'm pretty much tapped out, brother :) I enjoy folk music but haven't investigated the Christian scene too heavily. 
The flame in all of us the same.
missjay View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-12-2012 at 12:59pm
Judah &the Lion is a nice little band. theyre kid of similar sounding to mumford and sons...
ColonelMustang. View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ColonelMustang. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-20-2012 at 1:54am
The Oh Hello's have a great record out for free on bandcamp. It's very much so worth checking out. Their physical copies of their record have sold out, but you can snag it in pretty much any format.

http://theohhellos.com/album/through-the-deep-dark-valley
There is power in the name of Jesus to break every chain.
llamalima View Drop Down
Jesus Freak
Jesus Freak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llamalima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-25-2012 at 7:34pm
^Word
its like sweet dreamless sleep, it sounds like heaven to me.

follow me on: twitter.//    wordpress.//
MISSvip View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MISSvip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-29-2012 at 9:12pm
Not totally sure if these bands are considered folk, but here are some I like!

Kye Kye
Gungor
Poema
States

Hope this helps!
glahoiten View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glahoiten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec-31-2012 at 12:08am
Very surprised that Josh Garrels hasn't been mentioned yet, but he is the absolute tops (imo) when it comes to christian folk, or christian music in general (really consistently good too. Check out anything, pretty much).

Just discovered "Wayfarer". They are AMAZING. Really really good hymns. Really really good indie folk execution.

http://wayfarerseattle.bandcamp.com/track/how-long-love-constraining-to-obedience

And HOLY MOLY, listen to Colonel Mustang. So glad to hear someone else knows of the oh hellos, but they, too, are AMAZING.

That aside, here are some other folk dudes that haven't been mentioned yet

Monsters Calling Home (now called run river north) - maaaajorly soul touching lyrics there.
http://monsterscallinghome.bandcamp.com/track/fight-to-keep-honda-sessions

Heath McNease - The Weight of Glory (excellent musician who's done hip hop and acoustic, but does a really good indie folk album for a change. Oh, and it's free.)

Songs of Water - experimental, instrumental (mostly), folk, and they're Christian and such.

Gungor is seconded

and Seryn is also pretty cool.
"And I just wanna get mugged at knife-point
to get cut enough to wake me up
cause I know that I don't wanna die
sitting around watching my life go by."
Relient K - This Week the Trend
llamalima View Drop Down
Jesus Freak
Jesus Freak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llamalima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr-02-2013 at 2:31am
I've been listening to "Citizens". They are a band from Mars Hill Church (Mark Driscoll's incarnation). Some of their lyrics are kind of contrived, and just *too holy*. But I'm really digging their style, and see them only getting better. They sound kind of like Bon Iver/Fleet Foxes. 
its like sweet dreamless sleep, it sounds like heaven to me.

follow me on: twitter.//    wordpress.//
Glen Hawk View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glen Hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr-07-2013 at 1:42pm
I'm massively surprised that The Vespers has only had a passing mention. They're amazing, and BOTH of their albums are free on NoiseTrade here. --> http://www.noisetrade.com/thevespers

I also second the Oh Hellos, Fiction Family, Josh Garrells and Heath McNease, ALL of whom have albums for free on NoiseTrade.

Moral of the story: NoiseTrade is awesome.
2live_is_Christ View Drop Down
Freak For Life
Freak For Life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2live_is_Christ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 6:30pm
I would strongly second Judah and the Lion. They just put out a second EP. Only a few bucks on amazon, I believe.
Philippians 1:21
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
missionsgirl View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionsgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2013 at 6:43pm
My brother is in a folk/bluegrass band called The Scrips.  You can find them on facebook, and get their EP on noisetrade I think.
ThePolishBrit View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePolishBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 9:59am
I would say that the Rend Collective are great for a more Irish sound to folk music. They are one of my favourite bands :)
Now all I am I lay at Your feet..
FolksheepJesusfreak View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FolksheepJesusfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 10:14am
Sons of Korah is a good one, they are based in Australia and do the psalms extremely well. http://www.sonsofkorah.com/
KingofPolyester View Drop Down
VIP
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingofPolyester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2013 at 9:18pm
Rend Collective Experiment
The Vespers
All Sons & Daughters
Fiction Family
Josh Garrels
Sandra McCracken

All excellent!

"Maybe redemption is stories to tell."
tps_water12 View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tps_water12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov-06-2013 at 2:44am
The Last Bison (sounds like Mumford & Sons)

(Moderator adds: sorry, per our Forum Guidelines, You Tube links are not permitted here. Thanks for the contribution and welcome to our forums.)
JesusMetalHead View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JesusMetalHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2014 at 1:08am
Listen to the band named "Amaseffer"
They are a Israeli folk band.

Download there music at Searchmp3(dot)mobi.
Jesus is my savior!
nschloesser View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nschloesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-09-2014 at 11:12am
If you're looking for some good Christian folk music, I have a spotify playlist that has a ton of great songs. Go check it out. Has artists like All Sons & Daughters, Andrew Peterson, Citizen Way, Jenny & Tyler, JJ Heller, Leeland, Needtobreathe, The Oh Hello's and oh so much more. 

Bendk View Drop Down
Stage Crew
Stage Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bendk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct-17-2014 at 6:44pm
..and not to forget Sarah Masen's 4 albums and EP;  Audrey Assad's 3 albums and EP; Ellie Holcomb's lovely EP and album; Sam Phillips last few albums have all verged on folk-pop-chamber string arrangements, Gillian Welch's albums have always been strongly infused with christian imagery and symbolism - as has many older folk artists like Bruce Cockburn; Sufjan Stevens, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's Howl album; Maria McKee, and definitely Sixteen Horsepower and their various spin offs; Lilium, The Denver Gentlemen (very folk!); Wovenhand, Rosanne Cash ...My Brother's Mother; some Mike Knott era (Hearts of Care); a lot of Mike Roe, John Austin ... oh dear.  I feel like I'm just name dropping :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic